Image Map

House Hunting in Washington

I can't explain how excited I was to go to Washington.  I had never been there before and from everyone was telling me, it is supposed to be beautiful.  The plan was for me, Adam and mother in law, Janet, to go and look for a place to live.  About a week before we left, David had turned in his thesis to his committee and was able to take a few breaths before his defense (which is on April 16th) and he suggested that we go without Adam.  The idea was nice for Adam because he wouldn't be dragged around for four days, but the thought of spending all that time without my little man was hard to swallow.  In the end we thought it would be best for him to stay at home and I had to go without him.  Before this, the most time I have ever spent without him is about 12 hours.  I don't think I have ever missed anyone as much as I missed him.  Thank goodness for Skype and cell phones with picture/video messages.  By day three I completed broke down bawling because I missed him so much.  But with all the driving around and full days, it was good the wasn't with us.  He wouldn't have been able to nap or get out and play much.

Now to the fun parts of the trip.  We flew into Seattle on Wednesday afternoon, picked up our rental car and drove down through Tacoma and back up to Silverdale where our hotel was.  We had the wrong address for our hotel and what should have been a quick stop to check in before we headed out for dinner ended up taking about 2 hours.  Janet and I had eaten breakfast (which was not much) and nothing else that whole day, so it is easy to say that we were STARVING.  After we checked in, we went looking for a place for dinner.  That took about another half hour or so.  We just couldn't find any place that looked good to us.  Then Janet said, "I would give anything to find a Red Robin."  Just then I turn the corner and there was a Red Robin!  Janet and I both agreed that that meal was the best tasting meal we have had in a long time.  Mmmm.

On Thursday we started the hunt.  We went to a few that were okay, then we went to one apartment complex and were very impressed with it all.  It just 'felt' right.  We went to the waterfront in Port Orchard and had lunch at this adorable bakery. They had fresh made bagel dogs.  I love bagels, I love hot dogs.  Together they are even more delicious.  I do plan to go back and take David after we have moved.  Such a cute place.  We decided that night that the apartment we had found was the one we liked and on Friday we went to look one more time to be sure.  Again, we both felt like it would be our new home for the next year or two.  That was on Friday and that was also the day I was having such a hard time with being away from my family.  Put that together with a guy at the bank who was really rude to me and I just wanted to go back to our hotel, Skype with David and Adam and just chill.  Janet was really great and didn't mind that the rest of the day was spent relaxing on the couch of the hotel and watching a movie or two.  We got Red Robin that night, too.  Oh, and the one cool thing we did was go to the Tacoma Narrows bridge to take some photos.  David has always had a thing for bridges and especially the Narrows one.  I took the photos for his enjoyment.



Then Saturday we rode the ferry over to Seattle and wanted to see Pike's Fish Market.  Well, we got lost again and ended up not making it there.  We went to the airport and flew home.  That night I went in and grabbed Adam out of his bed to get in a good cuddle with him.  It was a great trip, but it was even better coming home to my little family.  Having Janet along for the ride was so much fun.  I can't thank her enough for all her help.  Oh, and here is a photo of Mount Rainier.  That day the sky was clear and so blue.  The weather overall was amazing there.  It rained, but nothing terrible, which I know is pretty rare this time of year.  I love where we are moving.  I can't wait to explore it.

3 comments:

Akina's said...

beautiful!! so excited for your big move! can't wait to hear how much you guys love your new apartment, bc i know you just will!

Michelle said...

beautiful pics! you guys are gonna have so much fun up there! i'm excited for you. oh, and so glad to hear that i'm not the only mom that can't stand being away from her baby! chad would talk about going on a short trip just the two of us and i just couldn't bear the thought of being away so long!

Sara Lou said...

So lucky! We would LOVE to move there...maybe in a few years!...Maybe. So glad that you guys are having fun with this new adventure!

Post a Comment